Liberate’s vision is of an inclusive society where all citizens of the Bailiwicks of Jersey and Guernsey (“the Channel Islands”) are accepted equally by government, organisations, society and themselves regardless of their race, colour, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy and maternity, marital status, parental status, caring responsibilities, age, disability, trade union membership, offending background or any other personal characteristic.
Liberate’s mission is to support those who identify as part of a minority or visible minority group (“Minorities”) living in the Channel Islands by:
- providing safe and inclusive spaces for people to meet across the Channel Islands;
- educating and informing residents, organisations and governments of the Channel Islands on a range of minority issues;
- campaigning to reform policies and laws to ensure that Minorities can enjoy the same freedoms and rights as everyone else across the Channel Islands;
- questioning social attitudes and behaviours which discriminate against Minorities in the Channel Islands;
- working with government and other providers to ensure equal access to and equal quality of services, such as healthcare, housing and education, for Minorities across the Channel Islands;
- offering advice and help to residents and law enforcement agencies of the Channel Islands in tackling racism, homophobia, biphobia, transphobia and other hate crimes.
1. We value diversity and strive for acceptance, over tolerance, of Minorities.
2. We will be representative of, inclusive of and accessible to all Minorities.
3. We believe every person must have equality of opportunity in their lives to allow them to achieve their full potential.
4. We act through dialog and negotiation not confrontation and division.
5. We believe that education not litigation is the best way to combat prejudice and discrimination and to change societal attitudes.
6. We believe in working together with other organisations already doing work in the same or similar fields.
7. We ensure that our resources are used in the most efficient and cost effective manner.
8. We conduct our business in a transparent, ethical and honest manner.
9. We ensure that the quality of our services is uniformly high.